Managing Your Wellbeing: New Studio & Booking Protocols9 October 2020
Updated Protocols at the Studios
Updated 22 September 2020
Following the UK Government’s announcement on 22 September 2020, we have issued this new blog which contains some revised protocols.
New Protocols & Streamlining
We have new protocols to help ensure we’re keeping our studios operating at our exacting standards to assure your wellbeing. These will include social distancing initiatives, pre-booking requirements and more, all of which are described in this blog.
As we transition back to normal, we will depend on the support of every member of the BYL community to help ensure that we’re all co-existing with our fellow yogis by observing the new studio protocols.
We’ve undergone a lengthy period of lockdown, during which we have all been through our individual journeys that have brought challenges, personal growth and for some even major life changes.
We are very grateful to all of you who have offered your support to BYL, both with your many positive messages and by continuing your memberships for those who were able to do so (and we appreciate that not everyone was). Your support has enabled us to reopen for our community as the lockdown ended, so once again, we thank you.
Classes will gradually phase into a full schedule. We commenced reopening with a smaller number of classes at each location, all of which will have limited capacity until restrictions are finally eased.
We continue to have up to one hour gaps between classes, allowing people to leave before the next group arrives. We ask our yogis to leave as quickly as possible (within 20 minutes) after their class has ended.
Booking Your Classes in Advance
- As class sizes are strictly limited, you’ll need to book online in advance of attending in order to secure your spot. However, if you forgot to book, we will endeavour on the first occasion to welcome you into class if there are spaces available.
- If you’re unable to book a class online, you’re welcome to join our wait list. As previously booked clients cancel themselves, wait list spots will be released one by one.
NHS Test & Trace App
- The NHS has released its Test and Trace app. At both our studio locations, we have NHS posters with QSR codes. When you arrive for class, please scan the QSR code. You can read more about how Test & Trace works here.
Revised ‘No-Show’ and ‘Late Cancel’ Fees Effective 5 October 2020
- Historically, up to 20% of our clients who book a class don’t attend. While we have usually been able to manage this in the past and have never charged “late cancel” or “no-show” fees (as detailed in our T&C), capacity is now significantly restricted, and a number of classes are frequently fully booked, with waiting lists in place. Therefore, nominal late cancel and no-show fees have been in effect since 1 August to ensure that booked spots are utilised.
- 3 hour cancellation policy: If you are unable to attend your booked class, you can now cancel your class without incurring any fees up to 3 hours before class begins (we’ve reduced this from the previous 6 hours).
- Late cancel window – final 3 hours: If you cancel your class within the late cancel window (during the final 3 hours before class starts), you’ll be charged a reduced late cancel fee of £3 plus your class credit.
- If you neither show nor cancel your booking: a £5 no-show fee plus loss of your class credit will apply. Any fees will automatically be charged to your stored card. Once again, at this time it is important to reduce “no shows”. In order to allow everyone the opportunity to book, please cancel the class in your online account in advance if not attending.
- Please ensure you’re checked in at least 10 minutes before class: Please note, it is important that you arrive and ensure you’re checked in with our reception desk at least 10 minutes before class starts, otherwise you may lose your booking and the spot may be given away if there is a waiting list. Our team will require time to work through the waiting list and allow clients to check in and get changed, hence the 10 minute deadline.
- Book and cancel yourself online: Please note we are unable to take bookings or cancellations by email or by phone. All changes to your booking will need to be done by logging in to your account online.
- If a class is fully booked, you will have the option to join our wait list. If someone cancels more than 3 hours before class, you will be automatically moved up into the class and receive an email notification. If someone cancels less than 3 hours before class, you may be manually moved up, and it is recommended to contact the studio to check availability for the class.
- If you have been moved up into class, the same booking rules apply, and you will be charged if you do not show up.
- We do experience a certain number of no shows and late cancels, so checking with the studio and standing by is frequently worth it.
- Note that the studio is usually closed and not staffed in the afternoons and whenever there are no classes scheduled. It’s best to call during lunch hours or within the hour before class.
As I Need to Book in Advance, Can I Buy a Package or Membership Online?
Certainly! BYL memberships, packages, gift cards and account top-ups can all be bought on our website Rates page.
We encourage you to secure a package or membership online to make your check-in process quick and smooth. If you need assistance or want to purchase in-studio, our front desk staff is also happy to help.
At the Studios
Our studio premises are well ventilated. Enjoy filtered fresh air oxygenation via air exchange units that change the air multiple times each hour. Our yoga rooms have state-of the art heating systems that continuously extract air from the yoga rooms and introduce new fresh air that has passed through our industrial heaters at very high temperatures of 70-80 degrees C (heat in excess of 56 degrees C eliminates Covid as per WHO guidelines). Our cleaning regimen continues between and during classes, including wiping down all hand touch surfaces with antibacterial spray. Our rental mats are washed and dried after every use.
We’ve created some changes to our procedures to help ensure we can all practice in the best possible environment.
- Please book no more than one ‘in-studio’ class a day: Due to capacity restrictions, we have lots of yogis looking to get back into the hot room, and for the time being, we ask our ‘unlimited’ members to book no more than one in-studio class a day. Clients on the 30 Day Challenge can still book 2 classes if they need to make up a missed class. We have our BYL Interactive Livestream classes available and accessible by all packages, so those who want more than one class a day have the option to attend one in-studio and more on our Livestream.
- Only attend class if you’re in good health: The main symptoms of coronavirus are: high temperature, a new, continuous cough, and loss or change to your sense of smell or taste. Please note, if you’re feeling at all unwell (even if it’s just a cold), avoid attending the studios until you’re better. You can, of course, join us on our Livestream.
- Scan the QSR code for the NHS Trace & Test app: The NHS has released its Test and Trace app. At both our studio locations, we have NHS posters with QSR codes. When you arrive for class, please scan the QSR code. You can read more about how Test & Trace works here.
- Stay socially distanced: When you arrive at the studios, please queue following the government recommended distance. Maintain distance on the premises.
- Masks: Please wear a mask in all common area of the studios (not required when you are on your mat in the yoga room).
- Contactless thermometer: We have walk-up contactless temperature self-check stations at both studios. Check your temperature upon entry. If the indicator flashes green, you’re good to go. If it’s red, we’re sorry but you’ll have to miss class and return only when you’re certain you are well.
- Hand sanitiser stations: We have hand sanitiser stations around the premises; however, we encourage you to wash your hands frequently.
- Arrive in yoga gear if possible: Please try to arrive dressed for class if at all possible. If it’s not, then please rest assured that the changing rooms will be open for those needing them (with limited capacities).
- No props provided for now: We have placed signs requesting clients avoid using our yoga blocks, bolsters and yoga belts in the yoga room for the time being. You are of course welcome to bring your own.
- The studios are now cashless
- Packages can be bought online, or you can pre-purchase your next pass at the front desk.
- You’re welcome to pay for items (e.g. mats, towels, water) using our contactless card machines (no minimum charge) or buy an Account Credit (£10, £20, etc.) and create a “tab” for future purchases. Many of our yogis have for years been using the Account Credit system as a simple way to avoid having to carry credit cards around.
- Rent a clean mat or bring your own: As has been our practice for the past 10 years, our rental mats will be washed down and dried completely after every use. You’re also welcome to bring or buy your own Mat, Mat Bag, or branded BYL Yoga Towel.
- Place your mat on the floor marking: Please lay your mat down in the yoga room using the floor marking. Line the top of your mat with the black tape.
- Out of courtesy, avoid dripping sweat on the floor in the yoga room and common areas: Place a large towel on your yoga mat. Two towels are required if you sweat a lot. After class, please wipe yourself and mat down in the yoga room to keep all areas dry. This is just as a matter of courtesy as Covid does not spread through sweat (ref: Johns Hopkins Medicine).
After Class Please Aim to Leave Promptly (within 20 Minutes)
- Depart within 20 minutes: Once the class you’ve attended has finished, we ask that you kindly depart the premises within 20 minutes to allow our staff to do their clean down and ensure there is plenty of space for the next group of yogis to enter. We will also be closing the studios earlier at the end of the evening for cleaning and would similarly request prompt departure.
- One minute shower limit: Showers are available; however, we encourage you to use them only if absolutely needed. As we have turned off alternate showers, please restrict any shower time to a maximum of one minute to ensure that everyone who wishes to has a chance to take a shower.
- Cleaning your personal mat at home: BYL rents mats which are washed and dried after each and every use. However, many of our clients like to bring their own mats. If so, it’s good practice to keep your mat clean. In your shower you should wash down your mat with hot water or even wipe it down with a sterile wipe. It’s quick and easy to do. We suggest having two mats and alternating them so one can dry.
- Finally, be kind to your fellow yogis who may be forgetful of a protocol. We’re all learning and adapting, and a gentle reminder is usually all it takes.
Please note, the above protocols are important to follow for the health and wellbeing of our entire community, as well as that of the wider public; therefore, yogis who consistently violate any of our protocols may lose booking privileges without refund.
When we founded BYL over 10 years ago, we did so with a plan to make a real difference in people’s lives. That goal remains. We’re working to come out of this better, stronger and more appreciative on an individual level of the things that really matter.
We again thank you for your support, and hope you enjoy our clean, safe environment for your hot yoga and Pilates practice!
The BYL Team
This article will be updated from time to time to reflect any changes to guidance.