Healthy Snacks12 July 2020
Enjoy three healthy snack recipes from registered Nutritional Therapist and the owner of Sunshine Nutrition Stephanie Goold.
High Protein Energy Balls
Ingredients (Makes 16 balls)
1 cup (120g) quinoa flakes (source of complete protein) 1/3 cup (20g) almonds, chopped finely 1/3 cup (30g) desiccated coconut 1 Tablespoon of ground flaxseed ½ cup (125g) almond butter ¼ cup (85g) honey or maple syrup 1 Tablespoon chia seeds 1/3 cup (40g) of dried cranberries or dried cherries. 2 scoops of “vanilla” or “natural” protein powder
- Melt the almond butter and honey/maple syrup and then combine with the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- Roll into 16 balls and refrigerate.
Baked Oat “Muffins”
1 mashed ripe banana
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup milk (I use almond)
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/4 tsp cinnamon
A handful of your favourite soft fruit such as raspberries or blueberries. Add chopped nuts and seeds too if you like.
- Mix all ingredients well and put the mixture into muffin cases placed in a muffin tin.
- Bake at 170 degrees centigrade for 25 mins
Paleo Protein Pancakes
Ingredients (Serves 2):
2 eggs 2 bananas 2 scoops protein powder (about 16g) – Recommended brands – Vegan: Vega, Raw Sport. Non-vegan: Vital Proteins, Bulletproof, Planet Paleo2 tablespoons coconut flour, sifted1 teaspoon of baking powder. Optional: Vanilla extract Optional: 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon Butter or flavourless oil for cooking Example add-ins: blueberries, raspberries, coconut flakes, chopped banana.
- Mash banana in a medium mixing bowl. *You can also blend the banana in a high-speed blender to make these extra fluffy.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until no clumps remain. Stir in additional add-ins of choice.
- Heat butter or oil in a medium skillet or frying pan, over medium-high heat. Once the butter melts, turn down heat to low and pour in batter. Cover and let cook for 3-4 minutes. Flip, and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until golden brown on each side.
- Serve warm with your favourite (healthy!) toppings.
ABOUT STEPHANIE GOOLD – SUNSHINE NUTRITION
Stephanie worked in the Financial Services industry in the City of London for several years before deciding to change her career entirely and realise her dream of becoming a Nutritional Therapist. She retrained with the acclaimed Institute for Optimum Nutrition, completing the four-year professional-level diploma in Nutritional Therapy. She is a member of the British Association for Applied Nutrition and Nutritional Therapy as well as registered with the Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council government body. Book an online or telephone appointment now, the BYL community can enjoy 15% off your first package with the promo code Sunshine15.